Sunday 21 February 2016

IT IS NOT SUFFICIENT THAT I SUCCEED, ALL OTHERS MUST FAIL


Story of Mongolian Empire and Mongolian Beef

Ladies and Gentlemen, Genghis Khan – one of the most powerful military leaders who started the Mongol Empire. Apart from this he did a lot of other stuff which I wish I could do but for now I’ll stick to cooking Mongolian cuisine.

My first encounter with this particular cuisine was about 2 years back but I went to Genghis Grill, a Mongolian restaurant in Texas, USA. The concept was pretty amazing!


You get a bowl, and then there are 5 steps.
Step 1 – Butcher’s block – selection of all imaginable proteins! You name it they had it..Of course I could only experiment with seafood.
Step 2 – Spice Trail, where you season you protein.
Step 3 – Farmer’s Market, here you add to your bowl the freshest and finest selection of produce.
Step 4 – Artisan Flavors, here you add the sauces to your bowl – they had pretty cool names like – 3G, Island Teriyaki, Mongo BBQ, Khan Pao and the likes.
Step 5 – Harvest Selects, here you get to choose what you would like to eat it with – Choice between rice and noodles.

Then you get it all cooked in front of your eyes on a huge girdle!



and this is what I had at the end, by the time I remembered to take a picture.


Well however this time instead of going we had Mongolian cuisine over at our place. Presenting Mongolian Beef with Garlic Rice.

Mongolian Beef

½ Kg Undercut Beef.
½ tsp black pepper.
½ tsp salt.
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornflour
1 egg.
Cut the beef into thin and long strips, and marinate with salt, pepper, soy sauce, egg and cornflour and fry till brown and crispy.

3 tbsp oil
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup soy sauce.
1 tbsp of Ginger garlic paste.

Mix all of the above over low heat and toss in the fried beef. Sprinkle green chillies and the green part of the Spring onion, and a teaspoon of sesame seeds.
 I had it with Garlic Fried Rice and an amazing chinese style cucumber salad on the side.

Try and let me know how you like it.

-This recipe can also be found under the category, Mains around the world.

Best,

Urooba.

No comments:

Post a Comment