Wednesday 7 December 2016

First Women Bank Ltd. – A one-of-its-kind Bank

As it so happened, last year I pledged at a women empowerment seminar that I attended that whenever in life I would open up my own company, I would ensure that it would be run by 100% female staff. The notion was greatly appreciated by all present there and I was very satisfied with my unique idea. Little did I know my idea was not exclusive, and I discovered this when I got a chance to visit First Women Bank Ltd., at its Blue Area branch in Islamabad. 
Let me tell you a bit about the First Women Bank. It has been in operation since 1989 and was inaugurated by the Late Benazir Bhutto, keeping in mind the financial needs of women entrepreneurs. The Bank is run by all female staff, but it caters to all men and women alike. They have a very unique vision that is to create value for the stakeholders and contribute towards the country’s economic development through mainstreaming women by creating an enabling environment.
I accompanied a friend there and while she carried out her transaction, and I looked around in awe. Here was an organizational model right in front of me, exactly what I wanted my organization to be one day. I went straight to the Branch Manager’s office and she was very courteous. I happily discussed my own ambitions with her and expressed my desire about wanting to run an all-female organization. She told me it was the best and the most comfortable feeling ever. 
I disclosed to her that I am pretty uncomfortable leaving my personal phone number at the banks where I currently hold my accounts, and she said she understood what some of us had to go through being a female in our culture at times. Privacy issues would certainly be of no concern at the First Women Bank – of this we both were sure.

Talk about timing! While we were there I found out that they were celebrating “Customer Week”, which was themed ‘Hum Haazir Hein’
The Bank was decorated in purple and white and, being present there and of course a potential customer also, I was treated to assorted chocolates and candies! I was obviously overjoyed. Here in front of me was a vision of how my dream would turn out to be - InshaAllah.
I asked everyone around how they felt as employees here and they all were truly happy and glad to be part of such a team – it was evident from their expressions. I had my camera (as always) with me and I asked if I could blog about them – everyone should know about this Bank! This was my level of excitement guys! And they were kind enough to let me do it. So I took pictures, and of course a mandatory group picture, which I will be sending it to the staff of First Women Bank Limited, and trust me they already have a spot ready for it where they will enlarge and put it up! I would have gladly joined them too for a picture, but what I didn’t know is how my day would end up being, hence I didn’t look my best.
I loved the enthusiasm, the spark that these women had at the First Women Bank – more power to them! You know what they say; the success of every woman should be inspiration for the others. Being women we should raise each other up. Make sure you are courageous, be strong and, above all, be humble. There is nothing that women can’t do if we put our mind to it.This is what the amazing staff at First Women Bank portrayed at all times I was there. Be sure to visit the branch guys, and check it out for yourselves. Girls should be financially independent and not hesitate to get small things done like writing a cheque,   opening an account and the likes.
I realize there is a first time for everything, but be assured that these kind women are there to help you through it. Let me know if and when you visit.

Till next time,

Urooba Malik.

No comments:

Post a Comment